"Using Waterco’s Air Scour Filtration system will result in a saving of between 25 and 35 per cent of the backwash water for all filters"
- Newly opened glen eira sports and aquatic centre features five separate pools, two water slides and a fully equiped aquatic wellness area
- Aquatic centre equipped with waterco’s air scour filtration system
- New system significantly increases backwash cycle efficiencies and improves filter performance
In the early design stages, Glen Eira City Council required the very best in commercial swimming pool filtration technology to maximise water and energy savings across the complex. The filtration technology would also have to optimise filtration performance.
After an extensive selection process, Waterco’s Air Scour Filtration system was chosen. Today, the water flowing through the entire swimming pool complex is kept sparkling clean thanks to Waterco’s advance air scour filtration technology.
The system was installed by WJ Pratt which specialises in water treatment plants and environmental solutions, primarily for the aquatics and exhibits industry.
“Using Waterco’s Air Scour Filtration system will result in a saving of between 25 and 35 per cent of the backwash water for all filters,” explains Sam Schuckert, Waterco’s national commercial/water treatment manager.
Backwashing a filter with sand media at standard velocities means backwashing at 40-50 m³/hr/m², while using air water backwashing technique means backwashing at 25-30 m³/hr/m².
Waterco’s Air Scour Filtration system also provides extremely uniform air scour distribution and requires no underdrain modifications when installed.
In addition to the Glen Eira Sports and Aquatic Centre, Waterco has provided deep bed Air Scour filters to the Tieri Aquatic Centre in North Queensland as well as the Fitzroy River Community and Aquatic Centre in Rockhampton, Queensland.
Super Sized Swimming Pools
Glen Eira Sports and Aquatic Centre features
- An eight-lane indoor 25m pool catering for lap swimmers, squads, schools and aquatic fitness activities
- An eight-lane outdoor 50m pool for lap swimmers, squads, schools, carnivals and leisure
- 510sqm leisure pool equipped with a range of the latest interactive water features and play equipment
- Two waterslides that travel inside and outside the facility
- Aquatic wellness area, designed as a therapy and relaxation area for adults. It incorporates a 200sqm hot water pool, spa, sauna and steam room
- 100sqm program pool designed for learn-to-swim and aquatic programs